Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I got Tebowed

Go figure, I do all this smack talking about Tim Tebow (God's gift to football) and he makes me look like a moron. He single-handedly drove down the field to win the game against the Jets.

But still, did Tebow make me look foolish, or was it the Jets? It was the Jets, it was always the Jets. This was a team that had the #1 Defense and #1 Rushing Attack in the NFL two years ago. Now, not only can't we play defense or run the ball, we can't block and our Quarterback, now in his third season, hasn't gotten better, but got worse.

I'm trying to remember if I felt this way last year or the year before. Last year we went 11-5 in the regular season. We have five losses now, mind you. It was fairly certain this time last year that the Jets were in good postion for at least a wild card playoff spot. I don't think I was this miserable last year. The year before we went 9-7 in the regular season. At one point two seasons ago, all playoff hopes were lost. Even our rookie head coach calculated wrong and officially declared us out of playoff contention. But he was wrong, and we eventually made it to the AFC Championship game. Was I as miserable as I am now? No. The fact is that we had a rookie quarterback and rookie head coach and there weren't big expectations.

This year I had my eyes on the prize. We have the same team, pretty much. Now, we're in a position with 6 games left in the season and we really can't afford to lose one.

Traditionally, 11-5 gets you into the playoff just about every time. 10-6 most of the time, but Jet fans know all too well that 10-6 is no guarantee. 9-7 is a long shot. It has happened. It happened two years ago. The Jets even won the division in 2002 with a 9-7 record. Dare I say the good old days.

I miss you Chad Pennington. I miss having a quarterback that I could trust with the football and completed the majority of his passes. Even if those passes never went farther than 15 yards.

No comments:

Post a Comment