Tuesday, September 20, 2011

If You Ain't First, You're Last

I don't think I'm the only Jets fan with this opinion. If the Jets don't win the AFC Championship this year, the season is a bust. They could (and probably will) make the playoffs, but it's not good enough.

Now, as a Jets fan, I've seen twice as much bad as good and I should be happy just having made it to the AFC Championship the last two years. It's like the Jets are dangling a carrot in front my face and I've finally realized it walking back to the Pittsburgh Westin Hotel from Heinz Field with my head down. I want that freaking carrot.

The last two season, the first two seasons with our franchise head coach and quarterback, we've gotten so close. Maybe it's because I was so close (physically, that is) having traveled with the Jets to see them defeat San Diego and New England (greatest day of my life) in the divisional round of the playoffs the last two seasons then lose to Indianapolis and Pittsburgh in the last two AFC Title games.

This year we have to win that game. First we have to make it there. It would help if we could dethrone New England and win the division. And the cool thing about that, if it happens, is the Jets would likely get a first round bye and home field advantage through out. Why that assumption? I don't care who you are or how well the Jets do, New England will for sure have one of the best records in the NFL at the end of the year. Top three at least. But, I don't need the division necessarily. I need to make the playoffs and win the AFC Championship.

Do I need to win the Super Bowl? I need to take a step forward and that means just making it there. If we do I'll have tremendous confidence, but all I need is that AFC Championship. Did you know the New York Jets are the only team in the NFL (excluding expansion teams) that hasn't won a conference championship since the AFL-NFL merger? That's a fact. Since the merger we made it there once with Kenny O'Brien, once with Vinny Testaverde, and now twice with Marky Mark Sanchez.

You all probably think I'm crazy, speaking like I'm actually a part of this team. I need this, we got to do it. Let me assure you... I am definitely crazy. I leave you with some words from the great Sam Cooke.


"It's been a long, a long time coming

But I knooooooow a change gonna come."







All in all, it has been way too long, and I truly believe Jets fans have had enough. We've been too close the last two year that anything short of the Lamar Hunt Trophy will be a disappointment, not just for me but for all Jets fans. So, maybe I should change the title to if you ain't first or second (in the NFL), you might as well be dead last.










No comments:

Post a Comment