Monday, September 12, 2011

How to Blog Like a Jet

Greetings Jets fans and bandwagon hoppers! Welcome to Blog Like a Jet, your one stop shop for the unorganized ramblings of one truly committed (I should be committed), die hard New York Jets fan. 
For those who saw HBO’s “Hard Knocks: Training camp with the New York Jets” last season, you may be familiar with the phrase, “Play like a Jet.” For those unfamiliar, this is the mantra Head Coach Rex Ryan instilled in his players and assistant coaches. If you ask Rex what it means to play like a Jet he’ll tell you a bunch of stuff about tough, physical football, brash, hard-nosed and hard work and dedication, and the big hit. But, how is that any different from what any other tough and physical team preaches. How about, Rex’s old team, the Baltimore Ravens. They’re very similar to the Jets style of play, do they say play like a Raven? They probably say, “Quoth the Raven, nevermore.” Some Jets players, like wide receiver Santonio Holmes take the mantra literally and extend their arms and pretend to fly after a big play. 
The point is, I don’t get it but I like it. I wear a wristband that says it, “Play Like a Jet.” I’ve bought in. I’ve drank the Rex Ryan cool-aid. But, after last night’s performance on Sunday Night Football against the Cowboys added to the definition of “Play Like a Jet.”
To play like a Jet you must give all your fans heart attacks before finally coming through and being the first team in the history of the NFL to beat the Dallas Cowboys when they’ve led by 14 points in the forth quarter. I know what Rex says and what everybody says, “Good teams find a way win games.” That’s great but why do you have to take the scenic route we’re I’m screaming at the top of my lungs and pulling my hair out for the first three quarters. I continued to scream at the top of my lungs in the fourth quarter but that I didn’t mind. Those were cries of joy. 
In this blog dedicated to Gang Green, I promise to blog like a Jet or a least a true jet fan because I am a true Jet Fan. A true jet fan who gloms off of his Father’s season tickets and gets too drunk to even remember the game the next day. A true Jet Fan who is perennially pessimistic but would never give up on the boys in green. You get close at times but you never give up. That’s a true Jet Fan. 
I’ll leave you with a joke I heard Comedian Artie Lange tell at Lincoln Center a few years back. This true encapsulates what it is to be a real die hard Jet Fan. Even though Artie’s a Giants fan, he makes a lot of sense.
“My uncle was a big Jets fan and he sat me down to talk football. He said, ‘when I was really young I was the biggest Jet Fan. They were my life. But, then I started liking girls. Eventually when I got older I went back to being a really big Jets fan. You know what I realized? No matter what happens, the Jets will always F*ck you.” 
Quick thoughts on last night. Defense started slow but came around in the end. We need to improve the push on the offensive line. We couldn’t get anything going on the ground yesterday. Also the O-Line needs to do a better job of protecting Mark Sanchez. He needs more time to throw. And Lastly, Mark is great in the 2-minute offense, we should run the no huddle more often. Click to see Highlights from Jets Vs. Cowboys check out Mark Sanchez's 6th career fourth quarter comeback of his short career on the NFL Website.

Here is the pre-game ceremony recognizing the the 10th anniversary of September 11, 2001. Very touching stuff.

We should have an easier time with Jacksonville next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment